Wednesday, August 26, 2015

Buildings



The structures are all commercially available buildings by Pola and Piko. They were gifts, so I accepted and onto the railway they went.  It’s a quick start to give the railway some life.  I can always change things out in the future should I decide to build structures that are actually found at Calico Ghost Town.  Since they are western in design, they quickly added the ambiance I needed.  The station is a Pola structure that was lettered for Idaho Springs, a town now along Interstate 70 in Colorado that was serviced by narrow gauge railways.  I have left the name for now because I just so happen to live on Idaho Street.  I thought that was providence and since my railway is based  on Calico Ghost Town, not a model of it, then any name that fits my needs will do.
Idaho Springs Station – This is one of the large Pola buildings made from their heavy duty plastic.  They go together very easy.  Since I live on Idaho Street, I thought it appropriate to have it represent the Potomac side of things since the real river is just a stone’s throw from my house. Who knew Idaho could be so close to the Potomac!



I’ve added some figures to the front to bring the railway alive.  Figures give your railway a sense that it has a life and I want to convey that the patrons at this place are being entertained.  So a washboard jug band with a fiddler helps to convey that idea.  The building is big enough that a small speaker could be placed inside and some audio ambiance added.  With the advancement of Bluetooth technology into the audio area, I could stream a playlist from my phone as I saw fit.




Saloon – A typical stereotype western building, it needs a bit of fixing up.  But then again, that’s the look toady of most of the buildings at the real Calico Ghost Town. They look like they are a hundred plus years old because they are.  It’s a point in time preserved. So the dirty run-down look of the saloon will continue and any touchup I do will be to maintain that look.



Passenger Platforms – Designed to go with the style of the station, they add a nice touch.  I have a couple in period dress acting out a bit for the passengers who have already boarded. Even as they wait for the train to depart the scene continues for their enjoyment.


Water Tower – Another Pola structure that is slowly starting to show some age.  I may have to speed up that process as well.  There are two water towers on the Calico & Odessa.  One on longer has its top and has a very distinctive lean to it.  I built a small tower to represent that one, but was hastily put together for the first year of operation and is in need of repair.  It will once again find its way back onto the railway.


Miners Shack – This was an impulse buy at the 2015 East Coast Large Scale Train Show.  I was shopping for figures and it caught my eye.  It is very typical of the old shacks that were hastily built to provide a respite from the sun or whatever rain might hit the desert, but mostly from sun and wind. Next step is to add rusty old junk around the exterior.



Campgrounds – The tourists have arrived for some outdoors fun and are active in hiking and some fishing.  I hot glue these figures onto the stones and just leave them out all year.  Billy has been showing off his catch for two years now.


Adobe building – There are some adobe buildings at Calico Ghost Town, so I purchased this via the internet.  This was a fortunate find that was already assembled, being sold as used and half the price of its original cost.  I couldn’t complain about that and I think it adds to the eclectic nature of old western towns. Eventually it will get a make-over to bring it more in line with the Calico theme vice Las Cruces.

No comments:

Post a Comment